Thursday 30 April 2015

IN MY OPINION

I have an opinion about everything: Wizkid or Davido, Racism, Homophobia, Ronaldo or Messi, The Oba of Lagos and the Igbos…but I rarely voice my opinion about anything. Well, unless it has to do with my ex-girlfriend (bless her soul. And face. And body. And…) that very pretty adorable bastard! Anyway, I digress.

I think the fact that anybody can justify whatever nonsense they say with “in my opinion” is just wrong, in my opinion (no pun intended, dishonestly). Everyone can have an independent view on any subject, true. But there should be a limit to the range of subjects to which people share those views.
As an Arsenal FC fan, I’ve seen the fickleness of football fans. I have heard people who know nothing about football, question team selection, tactics (or supposed lack of it), substitutions and transfer policies. If you ask me, Adebayor was very good, Eduardo Da Silva shouldn’t have been sold, RvP should have been allowed to rot on the bench…and the list goes on.

But nobody is asking me. That’s because my opinion doesn’t count. And that’s what everyone should always bear in mind.
It is acceptable if Nigerians voice their opinions about Nigeria, no matter how absurd – even if no one is really listening to them. My mechanic can make a suggestion about my car. But that’s all it will be – a suggestion. It is not out of place to voice your opinion in your family, although you should know no one really has to pay attention if you don’t contribute substantially to the GDP of your household.
But when people invest millions of pounds in a business venture – which is what media outlets, football clubs, religious institutions (dare I say), schools and the likes, quite frankly, are – you don’t expect anyone to listen to what you have to say. In that case, why bother to talk? Why??

My two cents (even if you didn’t ask for it - hypocritical, I know); if you don’t like something that doesn’t belong to you, look the other way. Find something you can live with. Again, if you, as an Arsenal fan, think Jose Mourinho is a better tactical manager, and if you really love tactics that much, simply support Chelsea. Same applies to every other facet of life. No one says you have to like “spoilt” kids like Davido. Rae Sremmurd doesn’t need your opinion on how to spend the money you didn’t help him make. I love Terry G, my ex thinks he makes noise. We coexisted…at least for a while. Again, I digress.

It is in human nature to not agree on everything. There will always be people who think otherwise. Those who think MJ was whack. Those who think people should sleep in the day and work at night. Those (of us) who think gay marriages shouldn’t even be up for discussion (Eeeww!!!).  But these people, myself inclusive, can apply what they think into their lives. And shove the rest, gently, very nicely, up their ass.

Do what you enjoy, as long as you are not hurting others. Be with who you like. Eat what you like. And stop disturbing the rest of us with your opinion. That, is my opinion.                    
--->>>L.J

3 comments:

  1. An opinion piece about peoples' opinions that puts puts into question the sheer opinionativeness of opinionists. Wow. And I thought my life was complicated!!

    A well-articulated if controversial piece, IN MY OPINION. Of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It is only in this situations that hypocrisy should be condoned, if you ask me. It is for the greater good.
      And if there is nothing controversial about my "rant", It wouldn't be me ranting. Take note

      Delete