Sunday 22 February 2015

IT HAS BEGUN

Everybody in the family, save for my mother and two of my sisters love(d) football. The first tournament I can really recall is the Korea/Japan FIFA world cup in 2002. I wasn't even in my teens yet, but I'd discovered a sport I really love(d). Then the following year, after my older cousin came from Lagos for his pre-degree program, we started watching club football at viewing centres on weekends. On the opening weekend of the 2003 English Premier League season, Man United played host to a certain Jay-Jay Okocha's Bolton Wanderers. The minute, little details escape my memory, but I remember (vividly!) Sir Alex motioning to the bench for a thin, sprightly, pimple-faced teenager to begin his warmup. I remember there were a few vociferous objections from many United fans about Ferguson's choice of a sub. Little over five minutes later, that teenager came on, sauntered about the pitch with flair and élan, had grown men on their asses with fantastic dribbling moves I'd never watched on live television before AND affected the game such that a slender 1-0 lead turned into a robust 4-0 thrashing of Okocha's team. I knew I was watching the very beginnings of an individual's greatness, if ever there was one. The memories of the beautiful David Beckham who had departed for Madrid the previous summer was put on the back burners. Old Trafford had a new hero;
C-fcvking-Ronaldo.

There's an inescapable feeling of joy in one's gut when you witness the inceptions of (potentially) great things. I like writing, you see. And I get beside myself with pride, and joy when people think my prose is not that bad. I know how perverted it seems to cherish the opinions of strangers over the internet, but hey, Vox populi, Vox dei.

So I had the honour of guest-posting on a blog I follow religiously; naijasinglegirl.net & the feedback on the comments section has been awesome. Click HERE to read.
Also, I did a review of an upcoming artiste's LP. The guy is a friend too. I had fun writing that coz I did it for a fee *giggles*, but I've been unable to contact the blogger that posted my review for permission to repost on this blog. You can read the review HERE

Forgive me for getting ahead of myself, and I trust you'll ignore the braggadocio, but that feeling I got in 2003 at that viewing centre? I feel the same way about myself. I feel like I'm gonna be great.

Rather disturbingly, I had the same feeling when Jonathan came into power. So you can forget everything you just read about my incepting greatness, and watch my writing career crumble like a pack of cards.
Or not!

--->>>Captaincue (*****, please don't kill my vibe)

2 comments: